Thursday 15 March 2012

Wiltshire Masterchef

I enjoy watching Masterchef on the good old BBC and one of the reasons I like it so much is because it allows me to indulge in my fantasy restaurant list - places where, given a unique set of circumstances unhindered by the constraints of finance, time and travel I would definitely go and have the best slap up dinner.   I was listening to the radio this morning, when I heard Greg Wallace being interviewed because the final is on TV this evening (Go Shelina!).  Naturally Greg was discussing food and he admitted that he eats out at least four or five evenings a week.  I sighed, a big envious 'you don't know how lucky you are' kind of a sigh.  Not because he is a successful television personality with his own business and restaurants and I am not, but because if even if I had that kind of a lifestyle there is, quite frankly, not enough good restaurants in this part of Wiltshire that could service an eating out habit that big.  If you could be bothered to drive to Bath perhaps, but not on the doorstep.
One notable exception though, must be The Bell (www.thebellwestoverton.co.uk).  The decor is simple, functional yet stylish, the atmosphere is warm and welcoming and the food is quite superb.  To steal a line from Mr Wallace, my lunch was like sunshine on a plate.  The set menu is so reasonable considering the quality,at £16 for two courses and £20 for three. The service was prompt and polite.  There is attention to detail and I got an impression that these people really care about food and about customers, so rare in these parts. I didn't just like it , I loved it.  Eat your heart out Greg.

No comments:

Post a Comment